Chip Bell is a renowned authority on innovative service, customer loyalty and the author of several national and international best-selling books including Take Their Breath Away, Managing Knock Your Socks off Service, Sprinkles: Creating Awesome Experiences Through Innovative Service and Service Magic. His newest book is the award-winning, best-selling book Kaleidoscope: Delivering Innovative Service That Sparkles. Dr. Bell has appeared live on CNBC, Bloomberg TV, CNN, ABC, CBS, NPR Marketplace and his work has been featured in Fortune, Wall Street Journal, Financial Times, Forbes, Businessweek, Entrepreneur, Inc. Magazine, CEO Magazine, CEO World Magazine, and Fast Company.
Chip Bell has helped many Fortune 100 companies dramatically enhance their bottom lines and marketplace reputations through innovative customer-centric strategies that address the needs of today’s picky, fickle, vocal customers. Dr. Bell reveals the best practices from the organizations leading the customer loyalty charge, giving audiences powerful cutting-edge ideas and unique strategies they can put into practice the minute they leave his keynote.
Always customer-centered, Bell customizes all his presentations to meet unique organizational needs through a background study, pre-event conference call, and phone interviews to better understand specific audience needs and challenges. He is considered a world-renowned authority on customer loyalty and service innovation, writing over 700 articles and blogs for many business journals, magazines, and top blog sites.
He has appeared live on CNN, CNBC, CBS, Fox Business, Bloomberg TV, ABC, NPR Radio and his work has been featured in Fortune, Businessweek, Forbes, Fast Company, Inc. Magazine, Wall Street Journal, USA Today, CEO Magazine, Money Magazine, and Entrepreneur. He has authored nine national best-selling books including: The 9½ Principles of Innovative Service, Wired and Dangerous: How Your Customers Have Changed and What to Do about It; Managing Knock Your Socks off Service; Customers as Partners; Magnetic Service; Take Their Breath Away: How Imaginative Service Creates Devoted Customers; and Sprinkles: Creating Awesome Experiences Through Innovative Service. His newest book is the best-selling, award-winning Kaleidoscope: Delivering Innovative Service That Sparkles.
His books have won numerous major book awards including the 2017 Best Book Award in the business category as well as the 2017 North American Book Award. His books have been endorsed by the CEO’s or presidents of such service greats as Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, Zappos, Starbucks, Ritz-Carlton Hotels, IHG, Wolfgang Puck, Build-A-Bear Workshops, JetBlue, Marriott, Chick-fil-A, Ultimate Software, WestRock, Morgan Stanley, La Quinta Hotels, Kimpton Hotels, and Southwest Airlines. Leadership Excellence Magazine listed him among the top 30 thought leaders in North America. For six years in a row, Global Gurus has ranked him in the top three keynote speakers in the world on customer service; twice in the #1 rank. His training programs have won numerous awards. “Delivering Innovative Service” won a 2016 Best Classroom program awarded by HR.com. “Service Unleashed” developed for Forrest Performance Group was a finalist for the 2018 prestigious Stevie Award.
Keynote Speech Topics:
Innovative Service: Strategies for Creating Growth and Bottom Line Impact What do Google, Netflix, Apple, Uber and Amazon have in common other than rapid growth and amazing profits? They all are considered among the most innovative companies, perpetually seek ingenious ways to delight their customers. Remarkable service for today’s picky, fickle and vocal customers requires a constant and deliberate pursuit of innovative ways to make the customers’ experiences sparkly, but consistent; enriching, but profitable. Since value-added has gotten way too expensive; smart organizations focus on value-unique—novel, not just more. Based on his national best-selling books The 9½ Principles of Innovative Service and Sprinkles: Creating Awesome Experiences Through Innovative Service this lively, provocative session draws on Dr. Chip Bell’s 25+ years working with many of the world’s leading brands to help them stay ahead of their competition by maintaining best-in-class customer experience strategies. This program can also be a training program.
Seriously Sparkly Service: Making Innovative Service Profoundly Remarkable Recall the absolutely best customer service experience of your entire life. What were the features of this profoundly remarkable memory? Today’s customers do not talk (remark) or tweet about good service; only experiences they find unique, special, and ingenious. Research shows value-added (taking what customers expect and adding more) will not provide a solid ROI. But, value-unique (delivering an unexpected, compelling surprise) creates animated advocates and fuels bottom line impact. Based on Bell’s newest bestselling book, Kaleidoscope: Delivering Innovative Service That Sparkles, this high-energy session provides the tools, tips and techniques for leading and delivering innovative service that sparkles.
Customers as Partners: Building Profitable Professional Relationships That Last Distinctive service in the professional or B2B world can be vastly different than the approach used by a merchant to win a consumer. For the business-to-business world and/or the space of sophisticated products or specialized expertise, the path to success has become a long-term, profitable relationship, not just a glitzy experience. When those you serve feel like valued partners in a power-free relationship, their expectations are more realistic, they are more forgiving of mistakes, more ardent advocates, and their economic investment in the firm or organization deepens. This keynote is particularly relevant for B2B organizations concerned with disintermediation, disruption and the erosion of the distribution channel in favor of direct relationships with consumers. Even in the B2B world with its extreme price-sensitivity and the watchful eye of purchasing czars, the quality of the relationship has become a key component in how value is defined. Based on his international best-selling books Customers as Partners and Bell’s newest book Inside Your Customer’s Imagination scheduled to be released in late 2020. Dr. Chip Bell’s insightful, fresh program provides audiences with provocative, yet practical tools, tips and techniques for building profitable relationships that last. This program can be a keynote, half or full day workshop.
Leading a Customer-Centric Operation If ten years ago you had invested $100 in a fund made up of the most customer-centric companies in the U.S. (according to the American Customer Satisfaction Index), your investment today would be worth over $650. A similar investment in the S&P 500 would net you only about $50 over ten years. Operations that put customers in the center of planning and execution attract the best employees and retain the best customers. They are repeatedly listed on Fortune Magazine's “100 Best Companies to Work For.” Chip Bell has worked with many of the most customer-centric operations--Ritz-Carlton Hotels, USAA, AMEX, Marriott, True Value, Harley-Davidson--and shares the secrets of what makes them so successful. This provocative and powerful keynote can be tailored for first-line supervisors to senior executives. It provides the insights and tools for creating experiences that turn satisfied customers into loyal advocates. It can be a keynote, a half or full-day workshop.
“I've heard dozens of customer loyalty speakers and thought I'd heard every tip. However, Chip Bell equipped me with a new set of tools in a fresh, enlightening manner.” --President, Verizon Wireless
“Everyone loved you! We truly appreciated how you blended your powerful message of customer experience with our Phillips Brand so that our partners could best relate. It was truly inspiring - and you definitely provided an exceptional customer experience to us.” –Marketing Director, Phillips Corporation
“Thank you for a truly outstanding, motivating keynote at our national store managers conference.” --CEO, JC Penney
Your keynote was really, really great. I'm speaking with my team about some other events. That presentation was exactly on point. Looking forward to seeing you again.” --President, Nationwide Insurance
“The conference overall was a huge success, but you were undoubtedly the ‘Bell of the Ball.’ Even our board member present at the conference, who is an extremely tough critic, was totally blown away by your presentation.” --CEO, Quaker Steak & Lube
“Chip was the “talk of the town” for days following his powerful presentation at our annual national conference.” --VP, CVS/Pharmacy “We sent post meeting surveys to participants. The most consistent response to “What did you like best about the meeting” was…Chip Bell.” –Senior Meeting Planner, KPMG
“Chip Bell’s presentation at our international management conference was extremely well received. He was relevant and incorporated our business issues into his keynote.” –Senior Meeting Planner, Hertz Corporation
“Chip Bell’s presentation was wonderful. His message was effective and on point, and our partners were both impressed and entertained with what they heard.” --Partner, Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell, LLP
“We have been doing a major annual conference for many years. Chip was the best speaker we have ever had. Our audience of 600 gave him very long standing ovation.” --EVP, Cabela’s
"Your keynote was truly inspiring! You were clearly the hit of the World Management Conference.” –Senior Director, McDonald’s Corporation
“Thank you for your excellent presentation at the Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding Executive Leadership Meeting. You keen and intuitive thoughts were spot on for our group.” --President, Northrop Grumman Corporation Shipbuilding
Bibliography of Chip R. Bell Solo Books
- 2020: Inside Your Customers Imagination: 5 Secrets to Creating Breakthrough Products, Services and Solutions. SF: Berrett-Koehler Publishers. (Released in September, 2020).
- 2017: Kaleidoscope: Delivering Innovative Service That Sparkles (ISBN: 978-1-62634-394-8), Austin: Greenwood Book Group
- 2015: Sprinkles: Creating Awesome Experiences Through Innovative Service (ISBN: 1626341753), Austin: Greenwood Book Group
- 2013: The 9½ Principles of Innovative Service (ISBN: 1608102475), Naperville, IL: Simple Truths
- 2000: Customer Love: Attracting and Keeping Customers for Life (ISBN: 1890009783), Provo, UT: Leadership Excellence Press
- 2002: Managers as Mentors: Building Partnerships for Learning 2nd Edition (ISBN: 978-1576751428), SF: Berrett-Koehler Publishing
- 1996: Managers as Mentors: Building Partnerships for Learning 1st Edition (ISBN: 978-1881052920), SF: Berrett-Koehler Publishing
- 1994: Customers as Partners: Building Relationships That Last (ISBN: 1881052540), SF: Berrett-Koehler Publishing
- 1982: Influencing: Marketing the Ideas That Matter (ISBN: 0893840513), Austin: Bard Books
- 2013: Managers as Mentors: Building Partnerships for Learning 3rd Edition (with Marshall Goldsmith) (ISBN: 1609947126), SF: Berrett-Koehler Publishing.
- 2011: Wired and Dangerous: How Your Customers Have Changed and What to Do About it (with John R. Patterson) (ISBN: 1605099759), SF, Berrett-Koehler Publisher
- 2009: Take Their Breath Away: How Imaginative Service Creates Devoted Customers (with John R. Patterson) (ISBN: 0470443502), NY: Wiley Books.
- 2007: Customer Loyalty Guaranteed: How to Create, Lead and Sustain Remarkable Customer Service (with John R. Patterson) (ISBN: 1598694685), NY Adams Business
- 2004: Magnetic Service: Secrets for Creating Passionately Devoted Customers (with Bilijack R. Bell) (ISBN: 1576752364), S.F., Berrett-Koehler Publishing
- 2003: Service Magic: The Art of Amazing Your Customers (with Ron Zemke) (ISBN: 0793164672)
- 2000: Knock Your Socks Off Service Recovery (with Ron Zemke) (ISBN: 081447084X), NY: AMACOM Books
- 2000: Beep, Beep: Competing in the Age of the Road Runner (with Oren Harari) (ISBN: 04465235340, NY: Warner Books
- 1998: Dance Lessons: Six Steps to Great Partnerships (with Heather Schultz) (ISBN: 1576750434, SF: Berrett-Koehler Publishing
- 1992: Managing Knock Your Socks Off Service (with Ron Zemke) (ISBN: 0814477844), NY: AMACOM Books. Three editions
- 1989: Service Wisdom: Creating and Maintaining the Customer Service Edge (with Ron Zemke) (ISBN: 0943210089), Minneapolis: Lakewood Books.
- 1989: The Trainer’s Professional Development Handbook (with Ray Bard, Leslie Stephen and Linda Webster) (ISBN: 1555420672), Austin: Bard Press
- 1989: Understanding Training: Perspectives and Practices (with Fredric H. Margolis) (ISBN: 0883902265), Minneapolis: Lakewood Books.
- 1886: Instructing for Results (with Fredric H. Margolis) (ISBN: 088390196X), Minneapolis: Lakewood Books
- 1984: Clients and Consultants: Meeting and Exceeding Expectations (with Leonard Nadler) (ISBN: 0872011194), Houston: Gulf Publishing
- 1979: The Client-Consultant Handbook (with Leonard Nadler) (ISBN: 0872011135), Houston: Gulf Publishing